BOMI’s Building Know-How Blog is dedicated to thought leadership and best practices for the industry of property and facility management. The feed below contains some of our most recent posts. You can read more post like these at bomiblog.org. Be sure to subscribe while you’re there and get all of our new content sent right to your inbox!
- Electrical Safety During the Holidays: Part 1 December 7, 2018Safety is a part of every job, but is especially important when working with or around potentially energized electrical equipment. Each year, approximately 1,000 people die in accidents related to electricity. More than half of these deaths occurred in cases where the voltage was less than 600 V. Under the right conditions, as little as […]
- What Defines Construction Contracts? November 30, 2018The terms construction documents and contract documents are often used interchangeably and casually in everyday practice. Technically, construction documents are two of several components of construction contract documents.Construction Contract DocumentsIn a contractual sense, a construction contract consists of four separate types of documents:The written legal agreement between the building owner and the builder.The construction drawings and specifications.The addenda to the drawings and/or […]
- Don’t Write Off Good Business Writing November 14, 2018Communication skills are an essential part of any industry. Good business writing can communicate ideas in ways that neither spoken nor visual media can express. The written word carries the greatest authority and conveys the most credibility. Good business writing provides the following advantages to communication:Ensures consistent, uniform delivery of your message.Enables you to communicate with those […]
- Pumps: Daily, Quarterly, and Annual Preventative Maintenance October 26, 2018Pumps are designed to accomplish two tasks: overcome friction and move fluids by changing the pressure of a fluid or gas. To have pumps running efficiently for years, operators should perform routine inspections of its equipment.Daily MaintenanceOperators should record the following items in a daily log:Suction and discharge pressure.Suction and discharge temperature.Makeup water in Global Precipitation Measurement […]
- 4 Ways to Show Professionalism in Facilities Services October 19, 2018The quality of facilities operations and maintenance services is the primary criteria by which customers judge the entire facilities management department. While the facilities manager can measure the performance of operations and maintenance services, corporate executives may gauge your success by the customers’ perception of those services.Facilities management employees and contractors can enhance the customers’ […]
- 5 Climatic Conditions That Influence a Building's Energy Use October 12, 2018As you work to manage energy costs by paying attention to the systems in your facility, keep in mind that a number of factors beyond your control will affect the amount of energy you use. These 5 climatic conditions will influence a building designer’s choice of building orientation, configuration, and envelope, as well as a building’s […]
- Which Sustainability Program is Best for Your Building? September 28, 2018Many organizations offer programs to help you measure or plan sustainability initiatives. The hardest part is choosing the best option for your building. We've done just that and present you with four options to help find the right fit for your next building improvement initiative. Energy StarThe U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) jointly with the […]